"This bracelet is an example of one of the pieces I built over expanded polystyrene. The two halves of the bracelet were created originally in expanded polystyrene whose surfaces were made electrically conductive by spraying with a silver shellac. Metal was then built over the foam matrix.
What originally drew me to electroforming were my early attempts in 1961-62 to cast forms using expanded polystyrene as the model. I invested and burned out a number of pieces and then cast in silver or gold. I found that because these pieces were solid, they were very heavy even though they appeared light in weight.
By using the electroforming process I am able to make a thin shell of metal over the foam matrix and thus create these textural volumes which are still quite light and very wearable. In this particular piece, the catch at the top which has amethyst crystal set in it was fabricated directly in metal. The metal catch and the metal hinge, which are also fabricated, were grown into the final electroformed piece after the initial form was built up."
The original object was scanned as a TIFF file on a Nikon Coolscan 4000 film scanner at approximately 4000 pixels on the long dimension. A 300 ppi JPEG file limited to 1024 pixels on the long dimension was then added to the CONTENTdm database.