Made from 500 14" x 14" tiles, this mural depicts the functions of the Municipal Departments: Police, Fire, and Motor Vehicle. Since its installation in 1941, the mural has been inaccessible. After its inauguration, the Police Department protested the scene showing policemen clubbing two African-Americans, and the mayor responded by asking for its removal. Timely intercession by Paul Manship of the U.S. Fine Arts Commission and Eleanor Roosevelt ensured that it remained, but the courtyard has been locked ever since.
The original object was scanned as a TIFF file on a Nikon Coolscan 4000 film scanner at approximately 4000 pixels on the long dimension. A 300 ppi JPEG file limited to 1024 pixels on the long dimension was then added to the CONTENTdm database.