America House, interior view of the 44 West Fifty-third Street location. America House was a retail sales outlet founded by Mrs. Vanderbilt Webb in New York in 1940. It was open for thirty years, beginning on East Fifty-fourth Street moving to Madison Avenue at Fifty-second Street three years later; and finally in 1960 to 44 West Fifty-third Street where it closed January 31, 1971. The building, designed by David Campbell, later became the headquarters for the American Craft Council.
The original item was scanned in-house as a TIFF file on an Epson Perfection V750 Pro scanner. A 300 ppi JPEG file limited to 1024 pixels on the long dimension was then added to the CONTENTdm database.